- Enter meets well before the deadline. Possibly discuss with a coach the best events to enter.
- Go to your Nova Upcoming Events and RSVP for the events you are atteneding so you will receive the email updates on the meet.
- Let the coaches know what events you are swimming and what goals you have or what you would like help working on before the meet (like a specific turn, or breathing pattern, or pacing strategy)
- If you are not able to attend the meet for some emergency please let Coach Mike (949.338.6682) or Coach Jim (949.233.2051) know so they can rearrange the relays if necessary.
Things to Bring to the Meet:
- Copy of the meet entry form including Directions & Event Order (So you don’t have to ask the coach so many questions)
- Nova Suit (possibly more than one suit)
- Nova Cap
- Nova Team Apparel (T-shirt Sweats, Parka, etc)
- Goggles (more than one pair, and not real old ones)
- 2-3 towels to have a fresh one for your last shower.
- Water bottle, Fluids, & Snacks
- Sunscreen & Hat if outdoor meet
- Folding Chair or Yoga Mat to sit on
- Personal Entertainment (Reading Material, Ipod, Game Boy, etc.)
At the Meet:
- Help set up the team area if you are there early (Team Canopies, Team Banner etc.)
- Check in for your events before warm-up
- Talk to the coaches before scratching or skipping any events
- Discuss with the coaches whether you will be needed to swim on relays
- Don’t ask the coaches any questions that can be answered by looking it up on the board or in the program. (They get a little kooky after 100+ questions in about the first 10 minutes)
- Talk to the coaches before your events to discuss racing strategy or specific details to work on.
- Wear Nova logoes suit and cap so you are easily spoted on the blocks for video taping
- Introduce yourself to other team swimmers that you don’t normally get to train with
After the Meet:
- Pick up your own ribbons and medals or ask another swimmer to get them – The coaches don’t do medals 🙂
- Help clean up the team area and fold the Nova canopies if they are up
- Find out if the team is going anywhere to eat & celebrate after the meet and join the fun
- Send any good photos you took at the meet to coach Mike to post on the website
- Check the “Results” a day or two after the meet to see if a story or photos have been posted.